Just as human bodies suffer many shortcomings and has to be reinforced by medication, so does he soil. In order to make the soil fertile for food production, farmers either spread compost manure, granulated fertilizer, liquid fertilizer and gaseous fertilizer. The soil’s macro and micro nutrients get replaced using machines known as compost spreaders.
Compost spreader is a farm equipment that is used to spread barnyard compost evenly in pulverized form. The spreaders come in two formats – tractor based and ground based.
How Does Compost Spreader Work?
All tractors derive their power from the PTO shaft that fit into a container that in turn runs the gearbox at the rear side. The engine of the compost spreader work as follows:
- 1 st drive is used to propel the upper beater.
- 2 nd drive is used to propel lower beater.
- 3 rd drive is used to propel the feed conveyor.
- 4 th drive is used to propel the spreader itself.
Parts of a Manure Spreader
Upper Beater - This part is used to cut and tear large compost flakes so that they can be easily pulverized for easier spreading.
- Lower Beater – The lower beater moves in the opposite direction of but works as the upper beater.
- Spreader – After the compost is pulverized, the spreader uses spiral auger which has angled blade to throw manure from side to side.
After understanding what a compost spreader is, we will review the top rated spreaders in the market. Read on.
If you are looking to evenly distribute your insecticide, compost, fertilizer or grass seeds, then the Earthway Professional 100 is your machine. It is made to with durable frames and a feature known as “Ev-N-Spred” that ensures that your material is spread to all corners of your lawn. Since it is not preassembled, the spreader comes with a manual showing you exactly how to go about it. You will also learn a few things about how to maintain it. Other features of the spreader include;
- It has a capacity of 3350 cubic liters of liquid insecticide or about 100 pounds of solid compost or fertilizer.
- It comes with a metallic twin tube chassis that has a 250 pound capacity. This makes it the ultimate durable spreader.
- In addition, the Earthway 100-Pound comes with a super heavy duty gearbox as well as an axle that is stainless steel. You will have years of hassle-free service from this axle.
- It also features an ergonomic 3-position handle as well as 13-inch pneumatic tires
By combining the best features of the spreaders, the Earthway 2150 brings out the best in machines. You can easily spread manure around your yard with its 50 pounds holding capacity. What’s more, you can use it to spread seeds too.
- Often, you will hear farmers complaining of uneven distribution of compost by their spreader. Tell you what; with the Earthway you have 3 holds for dispersing compost all over your garden/lawn. Using the handle, you will be able to control how much compost goes to the garden. The faster you move around, the more the compost will be spread.
- The Earthway 2150 is very light and thus will not give you some back pains.
- It features an adjustable handle so as to adjust it according to your height with comfort and ease.
- It is made with very sturdy metals to ensure strength and durability.
- Don’t fret about the Earthway 2150’s ability to handle heavy weights. It has been made to absorb all the weight that can fit on its basin.
- The lawn spreader comes with a 3 year warranty. If you have a very huge job that needs a reliable spreader, you cannot have a better and cheaper spreader.
If you own a larger lawn/land that requires serious heavy lifting, perhaps a push spreader is not the best. You can acquire the Agri-Fab Spreader that can be towed by an ATV, tractor or a motorized lawn mower.
- With a broadcast spreader that can hold up to 130 pounds of fertilizer, seeds or compost, the Agri-Fab 130-Pound 45-0463 is your best choice. It can work on a land as big as 10,000 square feet, sometimes even as large as 25,000 square feet (1 acre).
- The spreader feature large wheels (With a diameter of 13 inches and thickness of 4-inches). The base of the wheel (27-inches) is made wider to lower the center of gravity, hence improving the stability for the rough and uneven terrain.
- You can be sure that the broadcaster will still perform on the bumpy land or a new farmland.
- To recalibrate the settings right from your seat, the Agri-Fab 45-0463 comes with an on-off rod, allowing you more control. You do not to waste time getting off the tractor to control the flow of the compost on to your land. Note that there are many varieties of tow spreaders, but this is one of the very few that have this option.
- The spreader comes with a 3-year guarantee and an easy-to-follow manual that makes the process of assembling the spreader very easy. It even comes with after sale customer support to help you assemble and troubleshoot any issues that may develop in the course of spreading your compost.
- In short, this is a perfect choice for somebody looking for functionality without constant breakdowns.
Scotts has made its reputation as a brand by making outdoor machinery that’s durable and efficient. The Classic Drop Spreader is one of those lawns that can spread compost for over 10,000-squarefeet without any issues despite it having been developed for a smaller lawn. It has a frame made with heavy duty materials to enhance stability.
- The Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader features a dropper at the base of the machine. The chute-like dropper is 22-inches and thus gives you a larger coverage of your yard, meaning there will be fewer rows to cover the entire yard.
- The spread is multifunctional and so you can use to spread seeds, fertilizer as well as compost.
- Despite the fact that the spreader comes with default calibrations, make sure you adjust them to suit your purposes before use.
- Overall, this is a great drop spreader for larger yards. If you have a lot of shrubs or sidewalks to go around, this would be the perfect choice.
- For those that have sidewalks, shrubs and lots of ground to cover, this is one of the best spreaders in the market and it will be prudent to acquire it.
This is another product from Agr-Fab. The 45-0462 can handle a load of 130 pounds meaning if you were to spread seeds instead of compost, you can cover a whopping 25,000 square feet lawn. Additional features on the broadcaster include;
- Unlike the 45-0463, the 45-0462 is not a tow spreader, rather, it is a push spreader that weighs approximately 35 pounds. This lightweight along with wide wheels makes it easy to push.
- The spreader has capacity to spread compost/seeds between 10 and 12 feet away thus giving you an awesome coverage of your lawn.
- Quality of the spreader is guaranteed with a powder-coated metallic frame.
- Unfortunately, it does not come preassembled and you will thus spend about 1hour going through the assembly manual and putting the spreader parts together.
- It features a wide hopper that allows you to fill it with compost/seeds/fertilizer with a lot of ease.
- It is suitable for a large yard because it is made sturdy to withstand the uneven and rocky terrain as well as the smooth landscaped lawn.
This is another of Scotts legendary outdoor machinery. The EdgeGuard spreader is pre-assembled for people with yards that not more than 5,000-square feet. It is one of the best lawn care products on the Scotts model lists. Among its major features include;
- The EdgeGuard is light and compact thus will give you no problems when pushing around your yard.
- It is equipped with large wheels that can roll over uneven terrain. Despite being best suited for small lawns, it can be used for larger lawns if your budget do not allow you to purchase the bigger machines.
- It has a handle that allows you to work with hunching over. You have no risk of back pains when you use this machine.
- The Edge Guard Technology that has been used to make this spreader ensures precision whether you are spreading compost or seeds. It features a blocker that prevents the compost to fall off on the sides. It is also very easy to adjust the spreader to fit to your flowerbed configuration.
- Since it is pre-assembled, you can buy and start use immediately. It is also easier to store for later use because it is not a very cumbersome farm implement.
As conclusion, we advise that before you settle on a compost spreader, ensure you check out the reviews of people who have used it before. This way, you will have an idea of what to expect and how to handle a problem if it ever occurs.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.